Saturday, January 30, 2010

Pearls, Crystals and Rhinestones - Oh My!

January is almost over already! Since I have finished my January challenge, I decided to plunge forward and choose a new technique for February's challenge. I chose to do a 'Cube Daisy Necklace' which uses both the daisy stitch and a Chevron chain stitch. I ran across it on a Web site: www.rubysbeadwork.com/CubeDaisyNecklace.html Ruby has not only given clear and precise instructions for the necklace, but she has also showcased how several other jewelry artists have created their own versions and/or colorways. It is always fun and inspiring to see how others can take a pattern and add their own twist! I love the necklace (Thank you Ruby!) and will probably follow the pattern as she has directed and then use what I have learned, incorporating the technique into some of my future projects in some way. I already have a couple of ideas brewing in my head. Definitely check out this site if you enjoy beading and want to be inspired!



















I also wanted to share another of my recent creations. The necklace above is almost totally made from recycled and reused or repurposed elements! The focus piece is actually a rhinestone brooch/pin. I have left it undamaged and totally in tact. The pin could have been used as was, but I thought it fit well with what I wanted to create. I have also used pearls from one necklace, AB faceted crystals from another, and some rhinestone bead caps from a bracelet. I did add new seed beads as spacers, a section of silver chain and silver lobster closure. The chain allows the length of the necklace to be adjusted from 16 1/2" up to 19 1/2". The brooch is about 1 5/8" diameter and the drop falls about 2" from the brooch. The matching earrings which have new ear wires are a total of about 1 3/4" in length. This is a classy necklace that would look equally as nice on a bride in her formal gown (the something old perhaps?) or with much more casual attire such as a jean jacket.

No comments: