Tuesday, January 26, 2010

January 2010 Bead Technique - Project Completed!




As you may recall, I decided to set a goal for myself to learn a new beading technique every month. The Flat Right Angle Weave was my January technique. The square is about 3 1/2". My challenge (imposed on myself) was to make something with the square. I went to my studio and fiddled with it for some time when out of the corner of my eye I spotted my stash of beaded fringe. Everything began to fall into place.




















This is a photo of the finished necklace. Links can be removed from the chain to make it a short necklace or you can simply adjust the length by hooking the lobster claw closure into different links of the chain.













I began by whip stitching the fringe along two edges of the square, carefully going through some of the beads along the way to secure it. I used a matching thread.





Shown here are top and bottom (inside and outside) views of the flat piece with fringe attached.





I laid a chain across the center diagonally and folded the woven piece, not quite in half. I then loosely slip stitched the halves together at the bottom point to keep them in place. I also slip stitched the folded ends near the chain. I attached jump rings through the links of the chain and the folded ends to further hold it in place.








Finally a large jump ring was inserted through the chain and center folded edge where my charm was attached.





Now on to the February technique. I haven't figured out what that one will be yet, but I'm excited to get started on something new!




No comments: