Completed my 10th block for CQJP2015! It is an experiment in needle lace which I have never attempted before. So here it is, my first attempt, mistakes and all. The photo color is a bit brighter blue than the actual block, but you can see the stitching regardless.
The first section I completed was in the center. I began with the basic Single Net Stitch, followed by the Double Net Stitch and then the Buttonhole Net Stitch. I then created some crossed straight stitches and wove some rings into that.
The section on the right contains the Cloth Stitch, tighter and closer at the bottom (my left as I was working) and becoming slightly looser on the other end. This was a stitch I really enjoyed doing and was very pleased with the results.
The section on the left was started with Basic Russian foundation stitches to which I added some alternating Buttonholes. I was getting frustrated here because my series of Buttonhole stitches began to twist. I realized they are the same as the half-stitches I did in my Macrame experiment in which they were supposed to twist. Maybe I am working them too tightly? I would love it if anyone could suggest what I might be doing wrong. I moved on and did a few Double Russian Stitches, creating a Buttonholed Bar at the end.
Top left is my attempt at a Woven Spider Web.
I then attempted some edgings along the outer tapes. Top left - Knotted Edging (doesn't show up well); top right - Bullion Picot Edging; bottom right - Pinned Picot Edging; bottom left - Side Stitch Edging.
I enjoyed many of these stitches, especially the Cloth Stitch, and some I didn't care for...yet, but I know they will be great for filling in space and/or adding texture, color or interest using a matching or maybe contrasting fiber on future CQ blocks. Lots of possibilities.
I'm ready to do another painting now before I complete the next, 11th block. Hope everyone is having a great start to 2016!