Friday, November 16, 2012

November CQJP - Introducing My Kids

My November block is finished.  I have featured my children and grandchildren.  The birthstone for November is Topaz.  I'm sure you spotted the skeleton key representing my "keys to the past" series of blocks.


I began by printing off and laying out the images with some lace to separate them.



I dyed the lace to go with the month's colors.


The photos below just show some of the steps and close up details.






Again, I used images of the homes I painted in watercolor.  Both paintings were done for my senior thesis in 2002. 

The first is my daughter's first home.  This is a little pink cottage home that is surprisingly large on the inside even though it looks tiny from the street.  The multi-window room (behind the bush) is a sunroom with french doors off the dining room.  The woodwork and detail inside the home was all original to the house.  She has moved twice since, but this is where she was living when she was a college student, graduated college, and later married.  She and my SIL lived here for a brief time after they were married.




This is my son's first home.  He and his wife still live here.  My son is a woodworker and they have remodelled the inside.  It is spectacular and the kitchen is unbelievably beautiful.  Maybe I'll share photos one day.


Below is the closeup changed to sepia tones.

9 comments:

Mánya said...

Such a wonderful block, dear Connie! To me it speaks of love and serenity... Thank you for sharing!

crazyQstitcher said...

Connie your November block is so beautiful. I love how you have artistically bound family history together with your knowledge of needlework, dyeing, fabric printing and your fabulous watercolours.
I visited your CQJP personal site and the other blocks are also so evocative.
To see them is a lovely way to start my day. Thanks for sharing.
Maureen

Createology said...

Your "Keys to the Past" block series are stunning. This November CQ is beautiful. The colors are very Autumn. The memories held here with your children's homes is priceless. This will be a treasured heirloom for many generations. Blessings...

Suztats said...

It's a wonderful block, Connie. I love the diagonal line, and your dyed lace is just gorgeous.
Are you still planning to put all your 'key' blocks together? I'd love to see that, but I think the individual blocks are so beautiful, they could well stand alone as individual works of art.

Monica said...

You really are a master at this, Connie. I love how you have layered the sheer ribbon and the lace, and tied it all together with the embroidery. Way beyond seam treatments! Another beautiful block, thank you!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

So pretty - I love the colours in this one!

margaret said...

Connie, this is enchanting, so much detail,thanks for sharing it all and the additional photos.

Lorraine said...

Lovely block Connie!

Cyra said...

I adore this block Connie.