Wednesday, May 9, 2012

May - BJP and Mother's Day Wishes

I've completed my May BJP.  I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out.  It looks a little uneven here, but it is laying flat on thin fabric.  When it is hanging up it does look better (I know, why didn't I hang it up then? lol).  I think I will be stretching my BJPs on some type of stiff board or something when I'm finished.  Any suggestions on what would work for a base?



Spring is in the air one day, summer the next and mixed in with a bit of winter now and then, but not too bad as far as winter.  Crazy weather this year.  Below is a Mother's Day gift from T and one of my favorite plants, the Boston Fern.  The hanger is a family piece I converted into a plant hanger.


I have peonies in two spots.  The plants on the south side of the house bloom first and the ones in the back bloom a week or two later, so I really get to enjoy them a little longer.



This year I found seeds for purple carrots.  They are just popping up.  Another blogger had written about what a great fiber dye they make and I wanted to try it.  I then read how good they are for you and that they have a little sweeter taste than the orange variety.  I am so excited about these!


This is a volunteer tomato plant.  It is about a foot high.  I suspect it will have cherry tomatoes on it since they seem to come up every year on their own.  I did just plant some full size tomatoes that are only about 4" high.  To me there is nothing better than homegrown tomatoes.


The next couple of photos are taken around the house.  We had high winds and a little hail the day before I took all of these photos, so you will see some leaves and other debris laying around.  That's my excuse anyway.



I wish all the mother's out there a fabulous upcoming Mother's Day.

10 comments:

Susan Shufelt said...

Look at all the green by you. Things are just starting to get going here in WI. My peonies are only about a foot tall. I have the Sorbet peonies and they have tiny buds starting. Can't wait for the blooms. Have a wonderful Mother's day! Love your beaded laces and your CQ blocks!

Lorraine said...

Enjoying watching the progression of your BJP this year. A good base would be a very stiff pellon (#926). I need to make a trip to the nursery and pick up some tomato plants - lovely garden photos.

jenclair said...

Your BJP is so elegant. Love seeing views of your garden!

Blondie's Journal said...

Hi Connie! it looks like you have been busy with your beading...this piece is simply beautiful! I loved getting to see your plants, too. I love ferns and always have a few outside in the summer, but I have to bring them in during the winter. Purple carrots? Make sure you take pictures and show us!!

Hope you are having a great week! :)

XO,
Jane

Mosaic Magpie said...

I love seeing your landscaping and the peonies. My grandmother had a whole garden of different peonies. I love the deep pink color you have. The BJP is another stunner.....would an acid free matt board work as a good stiff base.
Deb

Marty S said...

This is my favorite of your beaded lace pieces so far. I love the combination of the butterfly and the lace.

Purple carrots... Hmmm... Wonder how they taste.
Marty S
Crackpot Beader

Suztats said...

Purple carrots taste good:- so do the white, yellow, and red ones. In our other home, we had a fabulous organic farmer just around the corner from us, so we had lots of interesting stuff. I never thought to dye with them, though......
Your bead lace is very pretty and I agree that acid-free matte boards would work well for them.
Lovely gardens! My daffs are just finishing, and my peonies are just red stems poking through the earth, so it's nice to see the lush growth there.

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello. I reading enjoyed seeing your beautiful landscape. I especially love Peonies and yours are truly beautiful. Purple carrots I have never seen. I look forward to sharing pics of them. Your Boston Fern is most fantastic looking. Happy Mothers Day. Hugs Judy

Anita said...

Lovely landscape and beautiful peonies!I didn't know there is purple carrot.I wish I have many plants like you,can have only 3 in the balcony in my small flat.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Thank you for all the wonderful comments! I appreciate the suggestions for the BJP backing. I think I may go with a combo - the acid free board with a layer of Pellon over it for padding. Great ideas. As for the purple carrots, I had never heard of them before either. They say the taste is somewhat sweeter than the orange variety but they are even more healthy. When I researched them I also found that carrots were originally purple. They also come in white and yellow. The reason I wanted to try them however, is that the color you can get from them when dyeing fibers is beautiful. Lots of good reasons to try them not to mention purple is my favorite color! I hope you all have/had a beautiful mother's day. The weather here today is perfect for it.