I've completed my 5th CQJP block. At least I thought I had it completed. Stay tuned, I'll explain shortly.
Immediately below is the naked block. I tend to use the same basic 'stand-by' stitches for my base.
Here is the problem. I was getting ready to post the image of the original key to the house when I noticed in the photo something that did not please me. The photo with the key has the wrong last name! I will need to replace that photo or at least a portion in order to correct the name. Ugh! I can't just leave it since it will (hopefully) be kept in the family and may totally confuse some future generation working on our genealogy. Since I work in layers, some pieces are tacked over the photo and maneuvering over beads, keys, ribbons etc. can be frustrating.
Meet the Wilkinsons, not the Hesters:
I guess I just need to accept it has to be done and do it ~ but I can't do that without whining first (giggle). By the way, he (James Wilkinson) designed and built the home that you will see on the next block.
For now it will do. I'm sure it won't be the only thing I need to fix before the year is over.
I also wanted to share my butterfly. For some reason I have just really struggled with this. What is now a blue butterfly was once a butterfly identical to the one I've left in the upper left corner of my block.
I tried different things with it to try to give it more substance, but it just cut into the flow of the block, so I ended up covering the lace butterfly completely with embroidery.
Still not real happy with it (above and below) I have added a bit of a lace look to the edges of the wings, but then went back and finished the edges better. The result is shown in the photos that follow. The original lace still shows through slightly.
I am very please with the results now. I had tried different colors thinking a color such as orange that would pop would be nice, but when I held different colors where the butterfly would be, nothing worked until I tried this almost periwinkle blue. The butterfly shows up but doesn't steal the scene.
My final (other than the name change) step was to add my aqua ribbon with a little angel holding it in place. I am much happier with the addition of this ribbon. It seemed to have been the needed element on the block.
When I started this year long project the bead color of the month was going to be the common element and the color accents were going to be smaller in scale and more of an accent than center stage. It has taken on a life of its own and evolved. The sheer ribbons and embroidered lace have become unifying pieces on each block. I have been developing my own stitched/embroidered lace which started because I could never find the size or shape or color of lace I wanted for a particular area. The gifted lace makers who see this are probably either giggling or appalled at my ignorance of lace, but I am happy with it so far.
This block will represent the month of March with the birthstone of Aquamarine. It feels good to finally be happy with it. I was ready to scratch the entire block and start over. If I weren't so
lazy busy I probably would have. Now on to April's diamond displaying the home these people lived their lives in. I know why this is called a challenge by the way.
I love your comments and feedback, so please feel free to share your thoughts!