Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Block 46 Updated and a Before and After

First my 'before and after' transformation.  I had purchased these stocking holders for the mantle at an after Christmas sale.  I am not one that favors shiny brass but thought I could deal with it during the holidays.  I then needed a new kitchen light fixture and found one with a shape I sort of liked that cost me all of $5.00.  Unfortunately it was shiny brass too so I was on a quest for a way to transform it.  I tried sanding it but couldn't manage to breach the finish.  With nothing really to lose, I bought a can of Rust-oleum Universal Formula Metallic Paint & Primer in One.  I experimented on the stocking holder first and was pretty pleased with the results.  This color is Flat Chestnut but as you can see has a slight sheen.  I used it on the light fixture with good results.  As soon as I get it wired I will share photos.

My mind is full of ideas.  I keep looking around at all the items I could transform!

This is the same block I shared recently.  It looked too 'boxy' to me so I added a couple of rows of buttonhole stitching (facing each other) within the red block, adding French knots along one row.  Now I'm done again.


Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm with you - I heartily dislike the shiny brass look (don't mind the duller type). Wrought iron is by far my favourite. Nice know that the Rustoleum product will work on brass.

Laurie said...

I agree on shiny brass Connie. I love the chestnut so much better, now I'm anxious to see it on the light fixture!

Mary Ann said...

Stitching two rows facing each other is brilliant. I need to borrow that idea:)